Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What's in a Name?

Six years ago, during a college screenwriting course, I invented a bumbling superhero by the name of Captain Rescue. He and his nemesis were quite successful and over the semester I wrote a series of short little screenplays that the class seemed to really enjoy. The character stuck with me and through the years I've been steadily developing him and his quirky little universe.

When I started penning short stories about the character and his misadventures, I was reminded, thanks to google, that a Captain Amazing already existed from the movie Mystery Men. I decided to err on the side of caution and rename the character to something else, to Captain Rescue. It was a impulsive decision and the name really never sat quite right with me, but people who've read the subsequent adventures seemed to appreciate the name in the end, so I figured "eh, whatever".

Now that I've decided to get serious about expanding the universe and thus, the character, I return to the issue of name. I obviously don't want to change it back to Captain Amazing, but I'm not sure I want to keep Captain Rescue either. This afternoon, with the help of a thesaurus, I toyed around with names, hoping to devise a possible witty/short name. In the end, I came with such winners as The Unerring Knight, Captain Infallible, Mr. Infallible--Captain Unerring just sounds weird. I think The Unerring Knight has a nice ring to it, but I'm not sure if it drawing too many parellels , which the character is honestly a parody for, so maybe it fits.

Ultimately, I'm not sure I like the name Captain Rescue. Is it too late to change it? Am I being too hard on the name? ARE THESE QUESTIONS EVEN WORTH ASKING?

No comments:

Post a Comment